Hemingway Daiquiri Cocktail Recipe
Hemingway Daiquiri Nutrition Facts
I fell in love with the art of mixology 6 years ago. Since then, I've honed my skills, crafting a myriad of cocktail recipes, and sharing my passion with other enthusiasts.
August 9, 2023
The Hemingway Daiquiri, also known as the Papa Doble, is a variation of the classic Daiquiri cocktail. It was created in the 1930s at the famous El Floridita bar in Havana, Cuba, for the American author Ernest Hemingway. Hemingway was known for his love of cocktails, and this particular drink was crafted to suit his taste for strong, sour flavors. The Hemingway Daiquiri has since become a popular choice among cocktail enthusiasts who appreciate its unique flavor profile and storied history.
How Hemingway Daiquiri Tastes?
The Hemingway Daiquiri is a complex and refreshing cocktail, featuring a harmonious balance of sweet, sour, and bitter flavors. The combination of white rum, lime juice, and grapefruit juice creates a tart and tangy base, while the maraschino liqueur adds a subtle sweetness and a hint of cherry. The result is a crisp, citrus-forward drink with a lingering, bittersweet finish.
Interesting facts about Hemingway Daiquiri
- Ernest Hemingway was known to enjoy multiple Hemingway Daiquiris in a single sitting, sometimes consuming up to a dozen in one night.
- The original recipe for the Hemingway Daiquiri did not include any sugar, as Hemingway preferred his drinks to be less sweet.
- The Hemingway Daiquiri is sometimes served with a splash of soda water, adding a touch of effervescence and further lightening the drink.
- White rum: 2 oz(60ml)
- Lime juice: 0.75 oz(23ml)
- Grapefruit juice: 0.5 oz(15ml)
- Maraschino liqueur: 0.5 oz(15ml)
- Optional: Simple syrup:0.25 oz
Recipe. How to make Hemingway Daiquiri Drink
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the white rum, lime juice, grapefruit juice, maraschino liqueur, and optional simple syrup to the shaker.
- Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds, until well-chilled and combined.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled coupe glass.
- Optionally, garnish with a lime wheel or a cherry.
- Shake the cocktail vigorously to ensure all ingredients are well combined.
- Use freshly squeezed lime and grapefruit juice for the best flavor.
- Chill the glass before serving to keep the cocktail cold for longer.
🍹 Discover the Top 50 All-Time Recipes! 🍹
Enter your email, and we'll send the exclusive list straight to your inbox.
We respect your privacy and take protecting it seriously
What you could change in Hemingway Daiquiri
- White rum can be substituted with dark rum for a deeper flavor.
- If maraschino liqueur is not available, cherry brandy can be used as a substitute.
- Simple syrup can be replaced with agave syrup or honey for a different kind of sweetness.
Find the cocktail you'd love!
If you want to drink something else - you can use our AI-augmented search to find the best cocktail for you!
Frequently Asked Questions on Hemingway Daiquiri
Can I use a different kind of rum for the Hemingway Daiquiri?
Yes, while the traditional recipe calls for white rum, feel free to experiment with different types of rum, such as spiced or flavored rum.
Is there any non-alcoholic version of the Hemingway Daiquiri?
Definitely, you may create a virgin version by omitting the white rum and maraschino liqueur, and increasing the amount of fruit juices.
What can I do if I do not have a cocktail shaker?
If you don't have a cocktail shaker, you can use a mason jar with a lid or two glass cups that you can fit into each other and shake.
What is maraschino liqueur made of?
Maraschino liqueur is made from distillation of the Marasca cherries, including the crushed pits which give it a subtle bitter almond flavor.
How can I improve my cocktail making skills?
Practicing frequently, learning from the pros via online tutorials or courses, understanding your ingredients and experimenting with flavors can significantly improve your cocktail making skills.
What makes a good cocktail?
A good cocktail usually has a balance of flavors - sweet, sour, bitter, and strong (alcohol). It also takes into consideration the presentation and aroma.
Why is it called Hemingway Daiquiri?
It's named after the famous American author Ernest Hemingway as it was reportedly one of his favorite drinks.
Extra information to help you make Hemingway Daiquiri
The basic composition of simple syrup is relatively straightforward – a 1:1 ratio of sugar and water. This mixture is heated until the sugar dissolves, resulting in a clear, sweet syrup.Learn everything about simple syrup
Add your ingredients to the shaker first, then ice. Fill it up to ¾ of its capacity to ensure enough space for shaking. Hold the shaker with both hands (one on the top and one on the bottom) and shake vigorously. The shake should come from your shoulders, not your wrists.Learn everything on how to shake
Place your chosen strainer on top of the shaker or mixing glass, ensuring a secure fit. Pour the cocktail into a glass through the strainer, which will catch solid ingredients and ice. If double straining, hold the fine mesh strainer between the shaker and the glass.Learn everything on how to strain
Garnishing a bar drink depends on the type of garnish and the cocktail. Generally, it involves preparing the garnish (like cutting a citrus wheel or picking a sprig of mint), and then adding it to the drink in a visually appealing way (like perching it on the rim or floating it on top).Learn everything on garnishing